Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Not House, Christopher, but Home. And that's the problem...

Okay, so we watched House together and came out the other side with the same feelings - Masters was bringing something new to the show and it sucks that she left; some Thirteen stories are good, but how much more can there be while maintaining the character's freakish desire for privacy; the Cuddy/House breakup didn't make as much sense as the writers might have hoped; apparently the writers care even less than I do that House is back on the pill.

I was never a Cameron fan, so it surprised me that I liked Masters so much - she's got all the Cameron traits multiplied times at least 500... I have to say that it was refreshing to see someone stand up to House without compromise.  On the other hand, the longer she stayed, the more likely that she would start to compromise her ideals (as we saw in this week's episode), so her departure is actually timely - she chooses to leave rather than to change for him. Go Masters!

I know that lots of people don't care for Thirteen, but I've liked her from the start. She's a good doctor, despite the fact that she got her job as much for the mystery that she presented as for her medical ability.  More importantly, she's another character that doesn't cater to House.  How long did she maintain the secret of her past? The episode from last week was great, and I loved the peek at Thirteen's life, but I don't want more right away.  The best way to ruin the character would be to give us the rest of her story now.  Let's give the guys the chance to try to figure out what's going on with her.  I'd even accept some Foreman-House-Thirteen tension as Foreman tries to find answers that he knows House already has.

Do you think the writers woke up one morning and said, "House and Cuddy...what were we thinking...let's end that thing right now...?"  I don't necessarily think that Cuddy arrived at the wrong answer, but I agree that the timing of it really doesn't make sense. It was very abrupt and didn't seem particularly thought out.  It was more of a gut-reaction that left me expecting Cuddy to snap out of it and take it all back within the next week.

Finally, House back on the Vicodin is about as interesting to me as watching paint dry.  (I mean paint that's being applied by someone other than Jensen Ackles - I'd be perfectly content to watch him paint anything...)  I'm terrified that the writers are going to think that it's a good idea to take the House story full circle and we'll get to watch the character devolve over the remainder of the season.

Story-wise, I think we're both concerned that it's going to go to that ugly place where the guest star of the week has some horrible disease and after 4 or 5 misdiagnoses House will swoop in and save the day while popping the V and haranguing his staff.  Foreman will continue to be boring and serve as House's mini-me. Taub will continue to be a womanizing schmoe, Chase will continue to have too little to do, since Taub is filling the womanizer role, and Thirteen will be secretive and terminally ill.  The chicken bet between House and Wilson was hysterical, but if that's all the interaction we see with Wilson, well, that's just unfortunate.

We need:
More Foreman and Taub - it's in their interactions that Foreman exhibits the most personality I've seen from him since early in the series.
More House and Wilson - bring on the bromance. It would be nice to see more of Wilson's reaction to the breakup and the return to Vicodin.  It's hard to believe that the character can be this unemotional about both of these things...
Taub and Foreman and Thirteen - Taub's nosy (no pun intended) and Foreman's still got feelings for her, so they should be all up in her business to try to find out where she's been.  I left Chase out because he seems pretty aloof and indifferent about everything lately.  Talk about a waste of a good character.

No comments:

Post a Comment