Saturday, May 21, 2011

I Am So Spoiled - The Hazards Of Previews, Recaps and Random Naptimes

I feel like it should go without saying on a blog like this but, just in case, if you don't want to know about the next-to-last episode of Bones or the finales for Castle or Hawaii Five-O, proceed with caution.  And let me  add that all three of these shows were spoiled for me, in three different ways.

First, as previously discussed, I saw a preview for the Bones episode where one of the team was supposed to die.  The ad implied 'main character' so I watched half of the episode fuming about how they'd ripped me off.  It was ultimately a good episode though, so I'm much calmer although still rather sheepish about how I let them play me.  Beware of the vicious, false preview.

Next in this spiral of doom was Castle. I fell asleep in front of the television at an embarrassingly early hour on Monday night, waking up at approximately 10:50pm.  My DVR - tasked with recording both Castle and Hawaii 5-Abs - had tuned itself to ABC while I slept, so my groggy brain absorbed the last ten minutes of Castle before it was able to signal my hand to tune to something else or just turn the TV off.  In a normal week - no big deal.  However, during the week of finales, this was a huge faux-pas.  I watched ten minutes of betrayal, sacrifice, mourning and WTF?!  I'm not sure if my sleep-addled brain was the problem, but the "bad" guy's motivations in those final minutes didn't make much sense to me, and even he didn't seem sure about what he was doing.  I definitely will need to see the whole episode while fully awake and give the writers the opportunity to convince me otherwise.  I'm just giving it a little time in hopes that my notoriously poor memory will forget the whole experience.

Finally - and most unfortunately - there was Hawaii Five-Abs.  I began watching the season finale with few to no expectations other than pretty people fighting crime.  This is a show that I love to watch, but it has the depth of a wading pool.  For this episode though, they apparently threw away style for substance.  I say 'apparently' because I haven't finished watching the episode.  While watching, I happened to read a recap on Facebook about the evil governor and the team breaking up and people being arrested and I had to stop watching because... well, what the hell?!  If the governor is evil then why does the team exist?  Perhaps this is addressed in the episode, but it seems to me that if you don't want someone in the military to interfere in your crime world, wouldn't you just let them continue their military service - probably back overseas?  Wouldn't you...  My list is long and, rather than sharing it now, perhaps I should watch the episode - on the off chance that it provides satisfactory answers - and get back to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment