Monday, March 28, 2011

The Story of How Tom Selleck's Mustache Lost a Step - Or Did It?

Tom Selleck has long had one of the sexiest mustaches on television.  Even if you didn't get to see it on Magnum P.I. in the '80s, you might have caught its guest appearance on Friends in the '90s, or on Boston Legal in the early 2000s.  The mustache was a brilliant star - or guest star - over three decades of television.

Imagine my surprise when I tuned in to the pilot episode of Blue Bloods and that brilliant, scene-stealing mustache was nowhere to be found.  Tom Selleck was there and still a very solid actor, but something about the mustache just wasn't the same.  I consulted the internet, feverishly comparing photos, and came to the devastating conclusion that the mustache had lost a step.  As I lamented this sad discovery, Ian happened along with a promising alternative, pointing out that it's more likely that the mustache was trimmed so that it wouldn't steal the show from the other actors.  I'm actually ashamed that this never occurred to me.  My shame knows no bounds.  After all, there's no question that the mustache would have stolen the show.  I mean, sure, it's a very solid cast, but who can compete with the power of the mustache?  This wasn't a problem for guest roles, or for Magnum, but what police commissioner would have such a sexy mustache?  Certainly the all-business 'stache is much more appropriate for the tone of the show.  So, with this resolved, all that remains is to enjoy the show - which is really quite good - and cling to the knowledge that someday, down the road, the mustache will return.

No comments:

Post a Comment